Rodents are generally small animals but they can cause a magnitude of problems. Our homes and businesses are ideal for rats and mice as they provide them with warmth, food and shelter and once they move in they quickly make themselves at home!
RISKS TO YOU AND YOUR ABODE
Rats and mice are known to carry over 35 diseases that can affect both people and pets. They can carry diseases such as salmonella, leptosprirosis and plague which are passed on by:
- Direct contact e.g. rat bites
- Unsafe handling/disposal of dead rats and mice
- Eating food drinking water that has been contaminated with rat urine, faeces, saliva, or hair
They can also damage property including wiring, insulation and plumbing.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR
- Strange noises
- Chewed wires or insulation
- Holes or gnaw marks in food packaging, plumbing, and building material
- Droppings/Urine (usually near food sources, in cupboards, drawers, bins and on top of hot water cylinders)
- Travel runways (rat paths) and tail-drag marks
- Nests and burrows
- Erradic pet behaviour
TIPS TO MINIMISE RODENTS
Rodents can be discouraged and controlled by simply denying them food and shelter.
- Identify and fill any interior/exterior holes and gaps in your home, including inside and behind kitchen cupboards, behind appliances, dryer vents, utility pipes, electrical wiring, around windows and doors
- Keep the home and garden free of litter, secure rubbish, especially food waste
- Clean up pet food every day